01 May 2013

Work, work, work!

One of the big draws of us moving back from South Africa was the chance for me to be able to continue my nursing career.  I missed it desperately--the patients, the adrenaline rush, my coworkers, and the amazing fulfillment I walked out of the hospital with every morning.
Thankfully, Alex's company was able to transfer him back to Chicago much quicker than we anticipated, so he is continuing his job in the world of management consulting (so vague, I know) and I am finally back in the workforce living my passion as a neonatal intensive care nurse.  The road to getting back in the hospital was a bit of an adventure...
In America, despite that fact that each state must recognize the laws of another, every state has their own process for nursing licensure.  So despite the fact that I had nursing licensure in DC and Oklahoma, I once again had to pursue registration in the state of Illinois.  A back ground check, finger prints, education and work verification, and copies of my college transcript and waiting for what seemed like ages, I was finally officially a registered nurse in my third state.
I had applied to several NICUs in Chicago before I left South Africa, and only one of them got back to me.  They said to let them know when I got back to the States.
So promptly upon my return I contacted them.  And contacted them.  And contacted them.  They finally got back to me and told me the correct person to be in touch with, and he called me the next day and I had an interview set up!
All dressed up for my big interview!  
After a two hour amazing interview with both human resources and the directer of the NICU, it was back to the waiting game.  And waiting.  And waiting.
THEN, two weeks later while Alex and I were chowing down at Franks and Dawgs, right when I was to the point of losing hope and pursuing other leads--my contact in HR called me with the job offer.  I had two more weeks off and started work at Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago.
It has felt so great to be back in the hospital.  I had an amazing preceptor on day shift who was so sweet and warm and really helped me get reacclimated to nursing after my hiatus.  I'm on nights now, and slowly getting adjusted to being nocturnal and figuring out ways to still see my husband--it often feels like we are ships passing in the night.
All in all, it's such a blessing that I was able to find a career I love right away after finishing college.  I know that I am definitely in the minority in my peer group, and I am so grateful that I am working back in the field I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment